View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 02:17 PM   #36
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy89 View Post
Hey, this is my first post on CP, I've been lurking for awhile as I don't live in Calgary yet (hopefully moving to Calgary within a year), but this thread is really interesting to me and has already given me some good info.

I'm interested in your opinions on water filtration/purification for day trips. When I move to Calgary I want to go on long day (possibly multiday) hikes in Kananaskis and Banff, which would require a lot of water, but I know a lot of people simply collect water from lakes and streams and filter or purify it instead of carrying a lot of extra weight in water. What do you guys use and have found effective? I'm looking at a Katadyn Hiker Pro (http://www.mec.ca/product/5007-114/k...o-microfilter/). Any comments on using this, it doesn't filter out viruses, but not sure how much an issue that is in cold, clean mountain streams. A super light option would just be using tablets (http://www.mec.ca/product/5001-354/k...tment-tablets/), but I like the idea of actually filtering out the nasties rather than just neutralizing them. Appreciate any comments you may have!
I think your crazy to bother filtering water from rivers or fast flowing streams in the nat parks or k country so long as the source hasnt gone through pasture land. Lakes are another story but you can normally find the feeder or exit stream from those rivers and just use that.

I personally use the tablets if I at all question the water source. They arent that expensive and unless you are going every weekend durring the spring summer and fall I dont think filtration systems are worth it IMO.

Ive never got sick once and last year I went backpacking on minimum 40 nights last year

Now if you have bad reactions to the iodine tablets then thats another issue.

Last edited by mykalberta; 07-26-2013 at 02:20 PM.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote