View Single Post
Old 03-26-2009, 12:17 AM   #33
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
I don't know if there are any realtors/serious real estate players on here, but what do you think this means for property values in communities like Woodbine, Shawnessy, Cedabrae, Braeside, etc?
The houses closest to the noise barrier will suffer short term and lose value. Of course, what they wont tell you is that those houses were originally bought for a slight discount in anticipation of this road getting built. The rest of the houses in those areas will become the coveted properties that our kids are buying, suiteing off, subdividing and profiting from.

This is one of those situations where you're weighing six of one against a half dozen of the other. Want great access? Buy here. Want tranquility? Buy here. I'm sure people screamed bloody murder when Crowchild cut a great swath between Killarney and South Calgary.

In the not-so-long run, those houses will be worth just as much as ever. Suburbia with great access to the rest of the city. Pretty much the same as what yuppies are eating up in Hillhurst and Altadore. Right? So what's the downfall to having a property that backs on to this evil highway? A huge yard across your nice street that has a giant brick sound barrier? Boo hoo! Now your kids and dog get to frolick in plain view, in an area that is ridiculously safe because there is a 10 foot wall and a 30 foot greenspace across a street that nobody drives on because it's a cul de sac?

If you ask the people whose houses backed on to that treed area that existed before 37th got paved into the backyards of Woodbine whether they wanna go back to the way it was, I'll bet you that the only people that say yes are over the age of 70.

If you're foolish enough to buy along a future route and then get pissed when it comes to fruition, too bad for you. I guarantee that for every one of you, there are a dozen people that want the road built. Suburban Calgary is dendritic. Collector roads are already few enough and farther between.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
It is illegal to drive on reservation roads?
Yeah. If you're not first nation. Unless you're there to do business. Of course, some people still use their roads. Just give them respect if you do.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post: