View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #12
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

The place I left hired a Director that was unbelievably unqualified and a walking HR issue. His tenure gives me a bit of insight into why places are hesitant to move you, despite your willingness: it's a big commitment.

This guy wouldn't have lasted his probation, but the owner kept him on because he moved him. He was met with daily backlash from employees and really had a big mess on his hands, but stood by this guy after moving his family. He really let the company go to shambles in a few areas over it. I could see someone in a hiring position hiring a lesser candidate they don't have to move just to avoid that risk.

I actually was coming in here to promote Lynda though. I have a few courses that I really liked, and I've had clients hire me noting that they liked seeing it. My sister went nuts and she has everything a client wants, and in social media marketing it's a big deal to prove you actually know what to do. I've had a few conversation with clients on how they've hired employees with Lynda credentials, and a few even mentioned that seeing 'Lynda: Google Adwords Advanced Training - March 2017' is more valuable than 'UWO: Business Marketing - September 2001' to them.
Great on you for recognizing this, and keep it up!

I think you're on the right path, but please let me know if someone with design skillz can help you out at all. A little spruce-up to the resume goes a long way when they're sitting on a pile.

I'm no expert, but I'd echo a lot of what's in here. Maybe remove the location from the resume to avoid the red flag. If you're not asking them to pay for your relocation, taking relocation out of their mind will be huge. As long as your smiling face is there day 1, I don't think it matters one bit that you're relocating. Be honest if they ask, but I'd make it very clear to them that you're looking for a job in Calgary if it comes up.

I think an agency is also a huge help with this as well. They'll be putting out a request for an employee, and they'll be putting forward your credentials, with the caveat of moving being something between you and the agency.

Just my thoughts! Best of luck!
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote