View Single Post
Old 07-12-2018, 04:17 AM   #8
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Question: Generally, if an employer notices a person has to re-locate, even though they are clearly qualified, do you even bother setting up an interview? For someone trying to get a job in Calgary while living in Red Deer it seems there's a prejudice, even if it's somewhat understandable. Still, I wouldn't apply to your company if I wasn't ready and willing to relocate.
If you are looking to relocate, leave your address and the address of the companies off. I would assume anyone looking at your resume would assume you are already local then. Explain you aren't in your phone interview.
Quote:
Question: How truly important is a quality cover letter? I mean, if it outlines your qualifications and suitability for the job, shouldn't that be enough? How much do you need to beg for a paycheque in these things?
I would say a decent cover letter can be equal to a resume. It depends on the way you are applying though, online submission forms with tons of other information probably less relevant than an email/resume combo.
Quote:
TIP: It seems Indeed.com is the most robust aggregate job search engine. Frankly, I don't understand how other sites stay competitive. You can really narrow down your search, and even keep a running list of places you're interested in, have applied to, are interviewing, etc.
I only have experience with indeed and linkedin. LinkedIn costs the companies quite a bit of money to post on. I would assume most jobs hit 1 of these 2 if not both.
Quote:
TIP: This was some advice given to me by posters in another thread. If you're looking to do some easy online upgrading, check out Lynda.com or Udemy.com. Udemy is a bit more expensive, while Lynda has a monthly fee for unlimited courses. They aren't accredited (at least Lynda isn't), but you certainly can build the skills you might need.
The Calgary library has a partnership with Lynda.com. You can signup for free with your Library card number. Calgary library is also free.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Temporary_User For This Useful Post: