View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 01:27 PM   #440
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Apple works on a different business model that's more focused on control of a user's collection of hardware, which is sinister in it's own way, and is less focused on data than Google, but once a person uses third party apps the door is pretty wide open anyways.

An ad company like Google or Facebook uses data insights to manipulate what users buy. Apple uses a tightly controlled ecosystem model to manipulate what users buy. Neither really embraces user autonomy in consumer decision making.

An Apple user who installs data-hungry third party apps ends up subject to both models of control. Apple doesn't appear to have a problem with that.
The question was "Is Apple sharing data, and selling it like the other platforms?" and the answer to that is no.

Specifically to address the underlined, apparently they do. Further, every time I copy something from one app (say, a piece of text from a Safari webpage) and paste it into another (eg: e-mail body in the Outlook app), I get a small notification at the top of the screen alerting me that the app in question pasted data from another app. If you have an app like a web browser that will allow you to 'paste and go' by determining if the text in the clipboard is a web address, iOS will alert you as soon as you click in the text field that kicks off the check.

If I'm wilfully using an Apple product and they're using pseudonymized data to make their product better for me, that's one thing. If they're turning around and selling that data / access to said data to third-parties, that's a different scenario entirely.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-16-2021 at 03:38 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: