View Single Post
Old 01-16-2021, 12:20 PM   #438
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Apologies if you're one of the many people who used Signal prior to the 14th and have noticed it going absolutely haywire on notifications and sh-t lately. I'm one of the many people giving it the hug of death, I'm in the process of moving all my conversations from WhatsApp over. Next up, Facebook.

You should probably look up the answer first before offering such a response, because they don't.
Apple works on a different business model that's more focused on control of a user's collection of hardware, which is sinister in it's own way, and is less focused on data than Google, but once a person uses third party apps the door is pretty wide open anyways.

An ad company like Google or Facebook uses data insights to manipulate what users buy. Apple uses a tightly controlled ecosystem model to manipulate what users buy. Neither really embraces user autonomy in consumer decision making.

An Apple user who installs data-hungry third party apps ends up subject to both models of control. Apple doesn't appear to have a problem with that.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote