View Single Post
Old 05-05-2010, 08:52 AM   #86
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Exactly why I don't get this whole "anti-trust" thing. This is nothing like what MS did in the 90s. Not even close. This isn't Microsoft telling HP that they can't use any other OS than theirs. This isn't Microsoft telling users that they can't pick any other browser than IE.

Apple makes their own hardware, runs their own software and hosts their own application service. If you want to develop for their hardware and software, then you have to do it through their application service, using their toolkit. If you don't want to use Xcode, you still have the ability to write apps for the Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone, etc.

People are getting a little too carried away with the monopoly thing. It doesn't matter how many people use an iPhone. Even if I wasn't an Apple user, I still wouldn't have an issue with this.

Edit: Is this any different than a grocery store that only sells organic food? Do non-organic food growers have the right to demand that their food be allowed for sale there? Does the Government have the right to step in and force the them to sell non-organic food? The App store is a store. The owner of that store can decide what they sell or don't sell. If they only want to sell apps that were built using their toolkit, then that's their right.

Another thing to note is that this story originated in the New York Post. Not exactly the most fact-driven paper on the planet. There's been no official confirmation or acknowledgment of anything.

Last edited by FanIn80; 05-05-2010 at 09:10 AM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote