View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 02:07 PM   #594
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Right, I agree, the renderings aren't terrific. I even have my personal opinions about the design, always have. But the cool thing was the concept of having a 'sports district' itself, and I didn't expect people to be so hard up about not having 'the' final design completed.
I'd be much more confident with that statement if it was someone like CMLC in charge, not Ken King. The guy has no planning/development experience, and thus there's nothing there to be back up his claims. The architects might do a masterful job, but at the end of the day they are working within parameters set by the client...parameters which to me feel poorly thought out. That comes from the top.

Quote:
Regardless, I'm excited to have something like this in my city, no matter how it ends up getting designed and built.
I don't think this is one we can whiff on or leave it to chance. If the Flames want to build in the West Village, it has to be done right because so many other things are affected. The riverfront, bike paths, Bow Trail, the tax base, possible Olympic aspirations, and the entire viability of West Village. It's all tied together.

I still think the Flames are better off just building a hockey stadium on/near the Stampede grounds. I know it may not fit into their scheme to get free cash/land, but I don't see them pulling CalgaryNEXT off as-is.

Last edited by Table 5; 03-09-2016 at 02:10 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post: