View Single Post
Old 01-29-2019, 08:45 AM   #45
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

$160 for lights (400 pixels $40 per 100 shipped. It would actually be slightly less but we will ball park cost for any extra little wires or pigtails needed.)
$80 Cheapest controller that can handle these lights is 60 usd can be cheaper if you have existing rasp Pi’s Already.
$250 for j channel. Need 2 Channels at $1.5 per feet added extras for cuts since comes in 10 ft lengths)
$100 for power supply and enclosure

So we can round up to $600.00 for hardware related stuff. If install is like any industry it’s about double hardware so we are looking at $1200.00. Which leaves $1000.00 for software and support. Now In the DIY world software is free however there is a steep and technical curve. You can buy professional software for $300 but same learning curve exists.

My pixel calculations was also on 3” spacing so that would skew numbes a bit but wouldn’t fluctuate costs much. Roof line is the hardest part of Christmas lighting historically so is $1600 worth permanent install and not having to go up on a ladder and simple app integration. The DIY route does not have the ability to control easily on an app for quick changes that I am aware of yet so being able to control from phone for 335 days a year and potentially tapping into the infrastructure for 30 days of Christmas to run programs may make sense.

There is also other things that add up diy route such as need to solder and purchase equipment. Computer for programming ect. My assumptions are also that the pixels are ws2811 individually assignable smart pixels. Prices would be different if they are using a different set up like ws2812 but my guess is they as 2811s

Last edited by fundmark19; 01-29-2019 at 08:48 AM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fundmark19 For This Useful Post: