View Single Post
Old 07-17-2019, 09:13 AM   #3165
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
The Wimbledon match against Nadal this year was the same. Roger dialed back the net aggressiveness because it's a recipe for disaster, and because he knows he can (and recently will) out rally Rafa. He didn't he a great approach at 40-30, yet he was already pre-commited to coming in. Why he didn't trust himself to win a rally in that situation, I'll never know. I get wanting to apply the pressure, but it's Novak Djokovic, not Kevin Anderson. It was a lapse in judgement, and it cost him dearly.
without looking at the official numbers, I'm going to assume Fed's long rally winning percentage against Djoker was below what he was getting against Rafa. I remember his net point conversion rate was pretty high throughout, so he decided to play the higher percentage, hoping that his mediocre approach shot wouldn't result in a perfect pass (which of course it did).

it's just amazing how a couple of inches left or right of the racquet/ball, or a 10th of a second different timing on the one serve, return, etc. has utterly changed tennis history. I think both players realized that which is why their reaction right afterwards looked a lot more like shellshock than the regular celebration/despair.