View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 11:26 PM   #1740
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post

As for Rogers being cheap, I don't believe that at all. Now is the time to be cheap if anything, but Rogers is anything from cheap when you're paying salaries in USD, but getting primarily CDN revenue. It's a calculated budget they're working with, but hardly something that we should be calling them cheap. The attendance is down because it's a rebuild and people have been angry about the two snakeoil salesman at the top. Lets not call this an issue of cheapness leading to fans not coming out.
They’re cheap in the sense of very reluctant to spend the money they have when it could mean the difference. As I mentioned, 2014 the year before the first playoff run, they were very close to first at the all star break. In the preseason, the players, and seemingly AA, wanted an additional SP, Santana, but AA couldn’t get Rogers to cough up in time.
AA told the players that Rogers was committed to winning and money would be there at the trade deadline to add, if the team was in contention.

Well, they were in contention, leading the division. Rogers went radio silent, no money was forthcoming, and the pissed off team hit the skids late July and into August.

Again, AA basically had to promise to Rogers to quit the next season in order to get the trades for Tulo done, and the crown jewel in Price and his salary added at that deadline. Rogers, bringing in Shapiro before that season ended, was an additional FU to AA to make sure it was widely known that AA’s tenure was done before he actually was gone.

With these two smiling slick haired guys currently installed by, and seemingly very fitting of, a Rogers corporate type hire, they’re the last ones expected to be putting their jobs on the line to get thier Rogers bosses to get off the check book like AA had to do.p by putting his own neck on the line.

So, thus why I think they are cheap. Even when the case was clear that the Jays needed a boost and could well win the division, and could’ve been in the playoffs for 3 years,Rogers went back on an early season promise and lied to the roster and AA.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post: