View Single Post
Old 10-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #424
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Those percentages are of households though, not of the population. So if you combined 3 roommates renting a house and 1 person owning a condo, that would show a 50% home ownership rate, whereas only 25% of the people in that sample own a home.

A 20 year old living with their parents would also be categorized within a household that owns their home, as would someone renting a room from an owner. And I believe, some illegal suites would also be counted under the home ownership umbrella of the main unit, in cases where they didn't receive separate census forms and no one verified whether there was a separate rented unit.

The population % of homeowners is probably more in the 50-55% range, rather than the 65-70% range of household % of homeowners. So in the under 45 demographic, it's likely that non-owners make up a significant majority in many places. Though I'm skeptical it's enough to create renter-majority voting populations in any province.
Someone close to the Vancouver municipal election told me about 60% of voters here are renters.
That plus the article I linked seemed to make sense but I can't find reliable data, so I'll admit it could be incorrect and retract the statement.

To the original point that was made about elections focusing on home owners as they vote more; that definitely does not feel to be the case in Vancouver or BC; but I can see that making sense in most places.
If you look at the leading candidates for the Vancouver election this week; campaign focuses are definitely not trying to win over home owners.
Winsor_Pilates is online now   Reply With Quote