View Single Post
Old 02-27-2020, 12:14 PM   #190
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I hope the mall eventually does well. As much as people were predicting it to fail, it's still sad to see the decline of B&M retail. I'm hoping they can offer a different alternative shopping experience than what a traditional mall like Cross Iron does, and for some unique opportunities for mom and pop shops to survive and thrive in. It's sad seeing the giants like Amazon and Walmart destroying all the local businesses.
It's not Amazon and Walmart destroying local businesses; it's us/consumers.

I have a B&M store. People will stand at my counter with Amazon up on their phone shoving an Amazon price under my nose with a "gotcha, you rip-off artist!" attitude. And I'm like, yeah, they're cheaper, but I'm here right now open for you to get that thing you need right now. I have to pay rent, overhead, I had to put up the cash to stock this item you now want that is here ready for you, etc. If you buy from me, I'll take that money and go out for dinner with my family at the restaurant your cousin owns in Calgary, or pay my share of municipal taxes that fund the fire department that'll put out your house fire. They don't care. People want the cheapest thing and DGAF about the bigger picture. I'm guilty of it, too, but I have landed on its all of our fault. I think people should own the guilt and not let themselves off the hook by blaming Amazon or Walmart.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: