View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 11:57 PM   #214
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Here are some drive-by comments about movies I've seen recently:

Three Identical Strangers - Weird, I lived through the 80s and knew nothing about this amazing story. These reunion stories are pretty normal these days but these guys somehow found one another before social media and the boom of DNA testing sites. Even if you know this story, it is worth watching just to learn what's happened to these men decades after they enjoyed their 15 minutes of fame.

Jurrassic World: Fallen Kingdom - Pretty much the embodiment of a popcorn movie. Dumb and entertaining. That scene where the brachiosaurus is stuck on the island engulfed by flames and lava while the boat pulls away from shore -- My wife was choking back the tears while I started laughing because I was half-expecting Chris Pratt to shoot the Brachiosaurus to put him out of his misery like that scene in The Wild Geese. So ridiculous.

Crazy Rich Asians - Disappointing. I really expected a totally different movie. Somehow, I thought the title was Crazy, Rich Asians, not Crazy Rich Asians. The film was wholly conventional and totally sappy.

Support the Girls - Easily my favorite Andrew Bujalski film since Mutual Appreciation. I visited Columbus, Indiana this past summer because of the film Columbus starring Haley Lu Richardson. After watching Support the Girls, also starring Richardson, I now really want to go have a meal at Hooters (I've never been) just to witness myself whether or not there is such warmth and friendliness and camaraderie in these establishments. Richardson should really be a much bigger star.

BlacKkKlansman - Pretty great film and probably Spike Lee's best since Inside Man, maybe even since 25th Hour. I thought the movie played to the cheap seats a bit too much, and I also did not believe the premise.
Spoiler!

Death of Stalin - Pitch black comedy. Not for everyone. Reminds me when after watching a handful of episodes of the TV series Succession, I had loved it so much that I got my wife to watch it as well. She detested the show. She didn't see the point of watching amoral greedy a-holes lying and backstabbing each other so they can become even more filthy rich. This was what I was thinking about while watching Death of Stalin. Funny stuff but everybody is so amoral and detestable. There was one scene in Death of Stalin that satirized the excellent execution scene in The Pianist in which a dozen or so Jewish men were lined up and a Nazi officer casually goes down the line and puts a bullet in each victim's head until he reaches the last person in line and he runs out of bullets. The Jewish man shows a glimpse of relief but the Nazi officer casually replaces the clip in his gun and shoots the man in the head. In the Death of Stalin version, a Russian officer was putting bullets in the heads of "counter-revolutionaries" lined up in a row when another officer comes running into the scene announcing all executions were cancelled. The prisoners thought they were saved but while the two officers are arguing the semantics of the order, he keeps shooting these prisoners one by one in the head. The scene is played for laughs and I thought it was very funny but I'm pretty sure my wife wouldn't.

Bad Times at the El Royale - A blatant albeit entertaining Tarantino rip-off. I've seem so many Tarantino rip-offs that I was pretty much immune to all its twists and turns and flashbacks and changes in perspective. My wife who has never seen any Tarantino movies thought the movie was great. She absolutely loved it and told all her friends to watch it. I told her if she loved it so much, she should let me show her Reservoir Dogs or Pulp Fiction but she's not interested after I made her watch Succession.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post: