View Single Post
Old 08-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #3300
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
4) The north LRT line at grade will not be rapid. In fact, it will only be marginally faster than the existing bus services, as it has to negotiate the same at-grade crossings as the buses. Trains do not operate quickly in mixed traffic environments. Even the Seventh Avenue transit corridor, with no car traffic, doesn't move very quickly.
Never looked at the plan for the north, but are we paying a boatload to create a bunch of terrible at grade crossings (a la 36 street)? Moving E-W anywhere north of Memorial is already a nightmare...

Quote:
Bill Lambert is a recently retired, Vancouver-based transit and transportation consultant with 30 years of experience. He also agrees with McKendrick and adds "LRT services operating at ground levels in the north and southeast corridors will be very disruptive to cross-traffic movements at traffic intersections all along the corridors and create increased traffic congestion."
That sounds like a yes.

Put me on team BRT. Nobody knows exactly how it will play out, but I think AVs have the potential to change the way we look at mass transit. Dedicated BRT routes seem to offer the flexibility and potential for earlier adoption.

I know carpool lanes don't seem to be in vogue any more, but I wonder about BRT 'luxury toll roads' (ie. very expensive so it doesn't create any congestion within that system) could be possible. The biggest problem with both train tracks and BRT lanes is they are completely useless when there is no vehicle on them...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post: