View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #3402
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
I'm really surprised to read this, Bingo.

Moving 2x1sts, 4x2nd, a 3rd and a 5th on 3 defenders in three years it not in any way addressing the structural issues plaguing the organization. It's like buying bandaids for internal bleeding.

The team has spent through the nose just to look respectable. This hasn't addressed in any way the structural failings of the club and in fact has made them worse.

You can't fix the laundry list in one season, and you certainly can't fix it by trading away draft picks for developed roster players. The Lazar trade should be an outright scandal right now for a team that looks like it might not make the dance this year.

In consecutive deadlines they've moved out draft picks for warm bodies. This is largely the same strategy employed by a long list of Flames general managers up to this point, Treliving just happens to be better at making trades and we don't yet have the benefit of hindsight to judge how truly awful or remarkable these trades are.

Like I said in another post, the team has 4 playoff round wins in 29 years. Moving a ####load of draft picks in consecutive seasons for basically 0 ROI in terms of success is an abject failure.
Well first off I hope they don't see 29 years as something they need to make up for as that sounds Vancouver-ish.

They spent assets to build what looks like a very good top six, and a very good top four blueline.

Other assets went to find a goaltender that can carry the mail until their goalie prospects are ready.

The issue now is the bottom half of the forward group primarily. Since they have a second core of blueliners coming along I see that as the natural progression piece of assets to gain balance.

Centers and blueliners always have more value than wingers, and the Flames are missing wingers.

It's not a baby with the bath water thing. It's a progression.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post: