View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #14019
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I see a flaw in your first statement as it is not really comparing apples to apples. Gio was an indrafted player and Dougie was a top 10 pick. Many people are saying Sam Bennett is a huge bust but the they are also excited that Spencer Foo (who is 2 years older than Sam) has potential to be a top 6 forward. Gio was clearly a late bloomer.

Dougie has not proven to be capable on theboenalty kill so he is not an all situations type guy. The Brodie-Gio pairing was extremely elite and consider the fact they had fantastic numbers when the rest of the team had horrendous possession metrics. Gio and Dougie are an elite pairing but Gulutzan made the Flames as a whole a strong possession team.

Flames have Andersson who will not replace Hamilton but will step in as a RHD and has shown great offensive ability in junior and pro. Somwhile the Flames have 4 very intriguing D prospects they lack the same potential up front.

Yes Brodie is an expendable piece but I am not convinced he will return the type of impact forward the Flames need and that is the crux of my arguement. I want the Flames to consider moving Dougie if they can get the right return for a 25 year old top pair D with size and can shoot right. If Treliving trades Hamilton for less than he is worth I will be pissed.
Where they were drafted is immaterial. 24 year old Dougie has 400+ NHL games and 200+ points. He's light years better than 24 year old Gio. This is a player who gets better every year, and I don't see why he's going to be less effective at 28, 29, 30 than now.

Should you not want to use the Gio example, consider former 1st round pick Brent Burns. Dougie's numbers by age 24 obliterate Brent Burns'. And I don't expect we're going to see Dougie take a year to play forward. Why are we trading 24 year old nicer Brent Burns?

He doesn't kill penalties. Anyone can kill penalties. Your job is to get in the way and ice the puck. You're basically a meat shield. They have Stone, Hamonic, Gio and Brodie who aren't needed for the 1st power play, so Dougie doesn't need to kill penalties. I guarantee before his career is done, Hamilton will be a fixture on the PK.

You trade Brodie and all you need to do is find another guy who can play in the top 4. Sign Thomas Hickey and I don't think we lose THAT much, all things considered. Trade Hamilton and you're immediately trying to find another Hamilton.
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post: