View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #57
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Thanks for the tips.

So with that, which hill has the best instructors for "real" skiing? I started skiing last year and a bit off and on before that, so I won't be tackling a lot of blue or harder runs myself until I feel more comfortable

I thought the COP lessons were good, initially, but once I started going out to the mountains last year, I found was that pizza wedge turning and stopping and "throw away your ski poles" advice don't really work on anything except bunny hills. Maybe I missed the point? Anyway, I started getting the hang of sort of doing hockey stops on skis, but I am worried about bringing my even less experienced family out on a hill until they've gotten better instruction.

I just want us to all be in control, and we'll be speed demons later.

Wormius, if your family goes regularly (anywhere, it really doesn't matter at this point), your kids are going to be skiing circles (or at least sweet GS tracks) around you in no time. I learned to ski on a rinky-dink resort in Manitoba and my family moved out here just in time. Eventually your kids will get better, but they'll search out more challenging terrain (at first with you, but eventually on their own). Let them explore, and when they're ready, set them free. Just please, for the love of the sport, don't raise park-only kids.

ALSO....I got my first turns in for the year! Went to Norquay for the afternoon. Only the Cascade chair was running, but it was fun (if a little simplistic, but at least it wasn't perfect grooming). I ended up switching to a board halfway through to keep myself entertained (I'm a really bad snowboarder, but slowly learning), but at $25 you really can't go wrong.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post: