View Single Post
Old 09-03-2016, 11:53 AM   #990
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's a tough spot for these Canadian pro teams. There's pressure to have Canadian content, but they also need to make sure the product is good, and competitive. Foothills has all Canadian (Calgarian) content because they're good enough to play at the PDL level. As soon as you take that next step however, like the NASL, it becomes tougher to have an all-Canadian team.

Take for example, FC Edmonton. When they first started, there was a lot of local talent, as most of their players were from the AMSL. They struggled. My team actually played the FC Edmonton reserves last night, who were all 16-18 year olds (fml) from Edmonton. They were good. I couldn't help but think that unfortunately, only a couple of them will most likely get a contract with the big team. Look at the current roster for the big team, they're basically from everywhere but Canada, and you know what? They're top of the league.

That's not to say there isn't good talent here, because the grass-roots programs ARE getting better, and 16-18 year olds today are a lot better than we were at that age. There is no mandate for the Canadian clubs to have a certain amount of Canadian players, because those leagues aren't Canadian. There are no Canadian rules, like the CFL. I would like to see them take a few more local players, because I think there is some pretty good talent, but it's really a double-edged sword. Foothills FC would be no different if they were to move up to the NASL, as the pressure to put a good product on the field would be just the same.

Unfortunately, I think we're still going to need to wait another generation or two, which is what we've been saying for years obviously, but I really do think youth soccer is taking the right steps. Of course I can only speak for the local clubs, but we do have some of the best in the country, and those running these clubs are good soccer minds and are really committed to bettering Canadian soccer.

Of course, that's not even getting into the CSA, who has been poorly run for decades now. I'd like to see them get more involved with some of the grass roots programs, such as Foothills. Foothills is doing great things, show them some support. Ugh, I could go on and on...I'd just like to see a Canadian team in the WC in my lifetime.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post: