View Single Post
Old 12-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #20
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
There's no hard boundary, but yes in general Brooklyn is considered to be part of the city, even though it's physically on Long island itself. There's also Queens between it and the rest of Long Island, which is another heavily populated (but less dense) city borough.

Assuming you asked because of Barclays Center? The problem with Brooklyn (and the city in general) is that it's an accessibility and parking nightmare for cars. Long Island is the epitome of sprawl...it's huge and was developed in a time where car was king. So for many people if they can't drive to it, they won't go. Even getting to it by train (which is actually pretty efficient), still takes a lot of time from many parts of the island, especially when you consider the traffic nightmares on a weeknight when hockey games take place. How often would you go watch a hockey game if you had to travel to Red Deer or Edmonton on a Tuesday?

Belmont Park may technically still be in Queens, but it's way more accessible to the average resident there.
The ride was certainly nowhere near as long as a trip to red deer as you suggest. Trains from the Island run frequently and most are well outfitted with plenty of individual seats and room if you compare them to the shabby LRT cars we use in Calgary or even standard subway cars in Manhattan.

With that said, I agree that the current location is not ideal for the franchise and they should be back on the Island where they can draw more effectively from the local populous.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 12-19-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote