View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 10:37 PM   #1
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Who should Treliving target as a potential replacement for Mike Smith?

Thought I’d bring up the list of some possibilities because Smith ain’t cutting it. Yes he’s has a shutout but even a broken clock is right twice a day. Unless Rittich is all of a sudden starter quality, here are best possible options.

Juuse Saros - Honestly I wasn’t even going to include him because it is a quintessential pipe dream, but lots of people mentioned him tonight. Great young netminder behind an aging vet. He’s going nowhere.

Scott Darling - Yes I know, awful awful year last year but apparently he had some personal issues that have been worked out and he was a guy with huge potential 2 years ago. Carolina is humming along with Mrazek and McBackup so I don’t think the acquisition cost would be huge as Carolina is probably looking to shed that contract. Have to send back salary to make it work though. They might take Smiths contract since it’s up after this season.

Phillip Grubauer - Varlamov has been sensational this year and Grubauer not so much, but like Darling, he was a goalie who looked real good the past few seasons with lots of potential. Colorado didn’t have to give up a lot to get him so I don’t think the cost would be astronomical.

Robin Lehner - Good numbers so far this year, younger guy with potential. He signed a cheap one year deal with the Islanders who are likely not playoff contenders so are only probably looking for mid level picks or prospects back.

Sergei Bobrovsky - Pending UFA who is currently being outplayed by the backup Korpisalo. Cost would be high but could be made cheaper if you can negotiate not including A-grade prospects or picks unless he agrees to an extension. Would need the wizard to work his magic.

Joonas Korpisalo - On the flip side if Columbus can workout an extension for Bobrovsky, Korpisalo might be available. Huge acquisition cost though.

Cory Schnieder - Kinkaid has apparently stolen the starter role and Schneider still has 3 years left on his deal after this season so NJ may be looking to shed that contract. Didn’t have a great regular season but was phenomenal in the playoffs last year. Only 32 years old.

Jaroslav Halak - He’s actually out-performing Rask right now but you have to think Rask will turn it around. Is on a pretty cheap 2 year deal but did not look great in New York last year.

Darcy Kuemper - Surprisingly both Arizona goalies have good numbers but as a team they are lottery bound so I’m sure they’re looking for more picks/prospects. Raanta is signed long term and cost a bit to acquire so I don’t think they be looking to trade him.

Tristan Jarry - Kind of a Kipperesque situation. 3rd stringer on a strong team, decent NHL numbers, good AHL numbers. A major dice roll but would not cost an arm and a leg.

Craig Anderson - Bad numbers so far this year but historically good. Same age as Smith though. I don’t really see him as an upgrade.

Jimmy Howard - Decent bounce back year last year and the year before but has looked god awful so far this year. UFA after this year so cost would be low. Only a couple years younger than Smith though.

Left out Carey Price who is playing well and Montreal is surpassingly good so far, but I know people have brought up his name before. Really can’t see that happening though.

Who am I missing?

Last edited by MisterJoji; 10-19-2018 at 10:41 PM.
MisterJoji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MisterJoji For This Useful Post: