View Single Post
Old 05-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #1844
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
I don't know how to post this any better, this was my first attempt at panorama pictures. I would really like some hints on the best way to do them, there are lots of great ones on here.

To me, the crooked horizon and panoroma format do not go together at all. Also, consider the rule of thirds... horizon should be 1/3rd or 2/3rd into the image. I'd also suggest that having the castle (?) about 1/3rd from the left and the left tip of the island 2/3rds in would have been an attractive composition. I like the symmetry in the clounds, maybe crop it just to the right of the third of the three fenceposts on the left?

Beyond that, hard to critique something so small.

If you're asking about technique:
- Always use manual or locked exposure and white balance (white balance is less important if shooting RAW) for panos.
- Having a tripod helps (you can even get a tripod head specially designed for it).
- Try to shoot at a focal length that minimizes distortion (this will depend on your lenses - it is a non-issue with primes, most zooms will have a barrel distortion at the wide end and pincussion distortion at telephoto with a sweet spot in between).
- I haven't used enough software to have an opinion, but Hugin seems to be well reviewed.

Last edited by SebC; 05-31-2012 at 06:35 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post: