View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:
Default The Democratic Presidential Nomination 2020

I wanted to pull away from the huge Trump Presidential Thread to talk about the issues that Democrats are running on for 2020.

To start: A couple of things to discuss

First:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1119616082338353153

This is a powerful ad.

However, I still feel like the auto-industry ads are low hanging fruit. I'm tired of hearing about the plight of the UAW worker. It doesn't mean I'm not sympathetic, but I'm tired of propping them up as a symbol of what we can be again. It's part of what has really resonated with me about Mayor Pete's message so far. It's refreshing to have someone really stand up and say "we can't keep looking back at a successful era and try to replicate it over and over. We need to use that energy to build new industry and new opportunity." That's a message I can get behind.

There has to be something beyond that. Auto Workers in 3 states didn't swing the election. Broaden that ad. Make people understand that when you screw up a factory town it's not 1600 people that lose their job, it's 20,000. It's hotels, restaurants, retail stores, schools, public service officials, you name it. It all rolls downhill. But they focus on this small segment of GM workers and not once in 3 minutes other than "the town has gone downhill, there's potholes everywhere" do you get any notion of economic impact of what closing a plant like this does.

Second:

The number one thing I wish the Dems would get away from is using the word "free". I just saw an article today about Liz Warren's big plan for "FREE COLLEGE".

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/22/polit...lan/index.html

Stop calling it free. Nothing is free. It's taxpayer supported college. Which can be a great concept! It's moving funds currently allocated to the Military Industrial Complex and the lack of funds received from large corporations and banks and allocating them to responsible social-based programs like healthcare and education. This is not a hard concept. If you want to get moderates, delete free from your vocabulary. It's disingenuous to those on the left expecting something and it's ammo on the right to perpetuate the "ghetto freeloader" message.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote