View Single Post
Old 11-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #141
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I disagree. Consistently led the team in hits. Hard on pucks. Stood up for his teammates when needed (remember the Roussel dirty hit on Stajan, for instance?).

Did he play like a cannonball every single game like those playoffs you mention? Of course not - he himself got injured late in the Vancouver series playing that way, and limped into the Anaheim series and then got scratched due to injury.

Ferland commands a great amount of respect on the ice. Kesler trying to act like a tough guy last playoffs until Ferland got in-between him and Monahan.

I still do that trade, but without question the Flames miss Ferland's presence on the ice.
I love Ferly, but it's hard to say the Flames miss his toughness. He rarely fought. Maybe guys in his weight class were scared of him.

Having said that, one thing that always bugged me a bit about Ferly was that he never fought up his weight class, in particular, he never seemed engaged against the Oilers. While I was always worried that he'd get destroyed in a fight with Lucic, Kassian, Nurse or Maroon, I always wanted to see him pushback and stand up for the team. To see Bennett do that on Saturday was something else. I don't recall Ferland ever getting into a fight in the BOA (ignoring rookie games) which is weird for one of your tougher guys. Also, in junior, he fought a lot of bigger guys and knocked out a few too, so I was really hoping he'd do that to Kassian.

He beat up lots of Canucks though But again, middleweights.