View Single Post
Old 12-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #647
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it is a mistake to downplay the possibility of the Flames leaving town in the foreseeable future. Lack of modern arenas is one of the main reasons why franchises relocate. I am not saying it is imminent and it's past the point of no return, but I think it is a real possibility.

The NHL will give Calgary the same courtesy it gave other franchises that relocated, that being favoring sales to local ownership that don't want to move the team. But let's be realistic here, how many potential local owners are going to be found when they know that they aren't just buying the team, but also the burden of having to pay for an arena in the near future? I would wager that no one would step up for that, especially after seeing how this has unfolded so far. Offers from potential owners wanting to relocate will come in though, you can bet on it. The Flames are probably worth more to the league overall in another market like Houston, so Bettman (or whoever is in charge at that point) won't stall a deal indefinitely to wait for a local ownership group.

The caveat to all this over course is whether or not Edwards would put the team up for sale. I really do have to wonder about his long term commitment at this point and teams going up for sale are not not always public information.

The fact of the matter is, if Calgary wants an NHL team, there will have to be a new arena at some point. That's not even arguable. Most arenas have a life span of about 50 years max (a few longer, but many shorter given how quick advances have been in amenity expectations). The Dome is 38 years old an the Flames will be playing out a 40 year old arena even if ground breaks tomorrow. That is putting the franchise in a pretty precarious spot if things keep going the way they are.