View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 05:38 PM   #4814
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
I agree they started their rebuild with Iginla's trade.

Yes, who said anything otherwise? The Flames clearly saw this too. That's why they weren't patience and tried to finish their rebuild early by making moves like getting Hamilton, signing Frolik, moving picks for Smith and Stone shortly after. I'm not critiquing them looking at that team and thinking they compete, I'm just saying they saw that team and thought the "rebuild" was over.

It was between trading Iginla at the deadline of 2013 and then moving picks and prospects in the 2015 season that make the boundary of the "rebuild" for me. Before then they had intentions to try and win with the Wideman, Hudler and friend signings, after that they had the intention to win with the Hamilton trade, Frolik, signing. So about a year and a half (and in that boundary they drafted their top ever pick in Bennett).

I don’t agree that trading picks for a young proven talent is the wrong move. It was the perfect move for a team that had just gone on a 2 round run.

Even with hindsight that was the right move. It lead to Lindholm and Hanifin who I want more than Barzal, the 2 2nds we would have got for Fox, and whatever we would have paid for Ferland or lost for nothing.

They rebuilt from 2013 through 2017/18 when they traded high picks for Hamonic. They then reset things a bit with the Hurricanes blockbuster where they got the second and third youngest players in the deal. So I think they rebuilt for 4.5 years
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote