View Single Post
Old 06-30-2022, 05:26 PM   #4812
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
They clearly didn’t start that year in rebuild mode but did you forget they traded Iginla, and Bouwmeester at the deadline and decided to embrace the rebuild? They entered the year with a new coach and hopes to compete. That team waited too long but on 2013 they decided to tear it down. Kipper also was shopped but refused to be moved.
I agree they started their rebuild with Iginla's trade.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Older Hamilton was freshly 22 years old and already an established top 4 Dman. The same age as their Calder nominated first line forward Johnny Gaudreau. They also had 20 year old Sean Monahan scoring 30+, 18 year old Sam Bennett looking good in the playoffs and won a round the year before. They added a 22 year old and 27 year old in free agency.
Yes, who said anything otherwise? The Flames clearly saw this too. That's why they weren't patience and tried to finish their rebuild early by making moves like getting Hamilton, signing Frolik, moving picks for Smith and Stone shortly after. I'm not critiquing them looking at that team and thinking they compete, I'm just saying they saw that team and thought the "rebuild" was over.

It was between trading Iginla at the deadline of 2013 and then moving picks and prospects in the 2015 season that make the boundary of the "rebuild" for me. Before then they had intentions to try and win with the Wideman, Hudler and friend signings, after that they had the intention to win with the Hamilton trade, Frolik, signing. So about a year and a half (and in that boundary they drafted their top ever pick in Bennett).
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote