View Single Post
Old 06-23-2018, 06:50 PM   #950
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
My Shaw 2 yr 150 deal is up next month and I realized it's crept up to $134 a month for a whole bunch of channels I don't watch. I also realized most of the dwindling number of shows my wife and I do watch are available on the Big 3 Canadian networks.

So with that I'm going to try and cut the cord seeing as how I have the most expensive parts of it all already (a NAS running Plex, a PlexPass, and an unused Amazon Fire TV unit). Wife acceptance factor has to be high on this so I'm counting on Plex to be easy to use...

Ordered today:

- HD Homerun Extend (thought I'd go big right from the start on this vs having to upgrade if I watch more LiveTV than expected)

- Mohu 30 Antenna

According to TVfool I'm 7 miles away so hopefully the antenna will work. I'll put the antenna in a 2nd floor west facing window leading to the HDHomerun and will plug in to the household ethernet network from that room. Plex should act as a PVR and I upgunned the HDHomerun to hopefully have enough juice for LiveTV transcoding.

Will report back how this works. Fingers crossed - would love to ditch the $50/month fee for "TV". Hopeing to get the bill down to $90 a month for 150 speeds.
If you wouldn't mind, can you report back on how this worked out for you and what the wife acceptance factor was?

I'm in a similar situation, and I also have a server running Plex, and a Plex Pass.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote