View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #13403
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Ultimately, because Lindholm is better.

Backlund is good defensively. When we ask him to shadow a McDavid or MacKinnon, we lose, often with those star players adding a spectacular goal to their reel.

Zetterberg vs Crosby was the matchup Babcock wanted - not meaning to disparage Datsyuk.

In a Final, it’s elite of the elite vs elite of the elite. It’s fine to send Kris Draper out to harass Sid in November or February. In June, you send a star to deal with another star - you don’t send Robin to face the Joker.

We need a minimum of Eichel/Lindholm/Backlund/+ because whoever we’d play likely has a centre group that’s at least as good as that, and probably better.
I actually think outside of this season, Backlund was doing a great job of shutting down McDavid. There are quite a few nights where McDavid is left off the scoresheet and it’s been a big reason why the Flames had bested the Oilers in past seasons.

But yeah, like I said in my last post. I do like the idea of a Lindholm, Eichel, Backlund 1-2-3 combo up the middle. Personally, I would still use Backlund in a defensive role though. Someone has to take the defensive zone draws and someone has to play the top PK minutes and I’d prefer that to be #11.

Actually, if I had it my way, I probably wouldn’t have played Lindholm on the PK at all. The overtaxing him with needless minutes and the risk of him blocking a shot and getting injured; put the bottom 6 grinders out there more and let Lindholm feast on the offensive side I say.