View Single Post
Old 05-26-2019, 03:28 PM   #309
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Lance Storm came out strongly stating that it wasn't a work and that in conversations with Bret he was completely gutted by it.

It was a pretty bad idea of a work if it was, remember that Bret Hart was still at the height of his career and he was the one wrestler that if used properly could have really hurt WCW. Instead they pissed him away with nonsensical booking and stupid story lines.

If there was a work aspect to it, Bret wasn't involved in it, it was the backstage conspiracy by Vince, HHH, Paterson and others.

The sad fact is that Bret went to WCW and was swallowed up by the powergames of Nash, Hogan and Hall and at that point Bischoff was burning out in the backroom and had no ideas to follow up the one awesome idea that he stole from Japan (NWO)

If you read interviews and look back at Bret's career, his entrance into WCW was wrecked in that first PPV where he acted as a so called special guest referee, and then turned a billion times and.

The only thing that stands out was that amazing match between Bret and Benoit after Owen died that was a classic.
The screw job worked out very well for Vince. I don’t pretend to know the truth, but I don’t think wrestling angles are the most well thought out things in the world. It could have been a way for both parties to save face and nothing more than that. The reasons why this hasn’t totally rung true to me:

Why didn’t Bret just let Shawn go over? He knew he was leaving and he lost to him before. Yes it was in Canada but I think Bret knew wresting was fake and that it was simply accepted in wrestling to leave a promotion on your back. He seriously thought his employer would be good with him just handing over the belt, leaving the promotion as a champion? Bret is smarter than that, isn’t he?

His reaction seemed overblown. Destroying the monitors etc?

The unparalleled access of the documentary on Bret. And the incredibly lucky timing.

The great camerawork capturing the whole thing.

To me the greatest argument suggesting it was real is both sides sticking to their story for so long.

Work or shoot, doesn’t really change much for me with how I think about it.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote