View Single Post
Old 05-23-2019, 07:32 AM   #877
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

so last fall my commuter developed a bit of a creak in the crank/bottom bracket area - so i replaced the BB. creak died down somewhat but was still there. Last two days it was getting worse, so on my way home i notice my crank has some lateral play in it, so i figure the crankarm bolt is loose.

i get home put the 8mm allan key to the crank and the bolt it tight, so i grab the crank again, and then really notice the play is from the drive side - so i pull out the crankset and then finally figure out that where the axle fits into the drive side has started to come apart. I drift it with a hammer a few time to try and reset - not luck.

i make a run to the bike shop south and was told i would need a new crankset. but the good news was the crankset came with a new BB - of course the bad news was it was a threaded BB and my rig is press fit. Anyways, $200 later my bike is really quiet again.

as i was paying i noticed that the bike shop had the new SRAM groupset on display. This si the one where the rear cassette is that oil slick color - it is super sweet looking, and would be a great addition to a bike with some blue in the color scheme. For now it is sold as a groupset at $2,500.......