View Single Post
Old 04-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #545
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubc80 View Post
How do you guys and your young kids handle playing with normal Lego?
Ive got 3 kids, the older ones are turning 5 and 3 this year.

1) The Lego will inevitably break as the kids fight over it.

2) The Lego will inevitably break as the kid plays with it normally.

3) The Lego pieces will inevitably get lost in the house resulting in the Lego not being able to be made anymore (unless we substitute pieces).

And because of 1, 2, and 3 above, my kids are constantly asking me or my wife to re-build it as they cant do it themselves. I like Lego, but it gets annoying.

We actually just get them to free play now instead of building the actual item. Seems to be the key at this age. But they like playing with the complete helicopter, or monster truck or whatever it is way more than being creative at this point.

We've gotten a bunch of sets over the last little while, and Ive hidden them un-opened for now as there's basically a temporary Lego ban on unveiling new sets at my house right now. lol.
Unfortunately, at their ages you're going to be dealing with this for a few more years. Unless they're awesome at following step-by-step instructions, they won't be able to build these themselves for a couple years.

As for losing pieces, we made a rule that Lego has to stay in the basement, otherwise we'd have it all over the house.

I've really had to learn to let go with Lego and sets being taken apart and parts used or lost in the big bucket. I used to be pretty Lord Business about it but now I just let them do their thing. If they want to rebuild a set they'll figure it out. My boys are 9 and 10.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post: