View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 01:33 AM   #70
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I think this line of thinking (see bolded) is dated and reflect a time in hockey where the 4th line was strictly goons. In today's hockey, I'm not sure its either top 6 AHL or top 9 NHL. I would perhaps agree with you if there wasn't depth on the Flames roster, but with the current roster, I think Mangiapane would be successful on the 4th line. Here's how I project the forward lines:

Gaud - Mony - Lind
Tkack - Backs - Neal
Benny - Ryan - Czar
Fro - Janko - XXXX

Even if it's mixed and two of Lazar, Czarnik, Ryan or Bennett are playing the 4th line, adding Mangiapane to that group is BENEFICIAL to Mangiapane, even if it's 10 mins a night. Same goes for Dube or Klimchuck.

If was during the era when Bollig, McGrattan and Stajan were on the 4th line, I would be inclined to agree with you. But as it stands, I'd rather leave a spot for a player with a future in the Flames organization than squander it on Brouwer.

Edit: Treliving even stated in a recent interview that the Flames need to play 4 lines. We all agree the 4th line was a productive black hole last season

For me, it isn't an antiquated concept - it isn't about enforcers. It is about the ability to play defence.

You are going to lean on your top offensive stars to generate goals - and these are in the top 6 for the most part, and top 9 for deep teams.

One of those lines is going to be a strong defensive line usually, and the really good 4th lines in the league help in this regard. I think you should have 4th line players that can PK and help in that regard, so that your better offensive players have fresher legs.

Mangiapane probably wouldn't help with that much.

I do think (and agree) with rolling 4 lines, but Mangiapane will then end up getting sheltered in the defensive situations, right?

I think for a handful of games, it is probably beneficial to have a player like Mangiapane get his ears wet playing on the 4th line, but it shouldn't go beyond that. He needs to either be moved up the lineup and provided with more opportunity in offensive situations, or sent to the AHL and allowing his offensive creativity (and confidence) to continue developing.

I just think the team is going to ride their top offensive players more, and utilize that 4th line for help on the PK to take some tough minutes (Stajan will be missed in his ability to do that) and allow your more offensive stars to have fresher legs. That 4th line absolutely should be contributing on the score-sheet as well, but defence is where I believe they should be spending the a large portion of their minutes to help the team.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: