View Single Post
Old 01-18-2023, 05:01 PM   #4175
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I'm not an expert by any means, but I'll agree to an extent, you would rather not use LTIR if you can avoid it, so I don't think its an advantage per se (hence why for example the flames are not , and shouldn't LTIR OK)

but once you are having to use LTIR , which the Oilers essentially are all the time, partly due to Klefbom, but also as their best way to make Smith disappear, and then they had to start the year squeezing out every penny you have

once you are stuck in LTIR mode, I feel like it can be an advantage sort of to use it more(I'll be quiet on whether the Oilers are abusing it or not, I don't know the answer)

with Kane back it should have meant several of Ryan, Janmark, Holloway etc back to minor or waivers, they can avoid that by deploying Yamamoto to LTIR- but that does deprive them of Yamamoto- YMMV whether that is a good or bad thing
Putting Smith on LTIR was a pretty big advantage. Without that, they would have either had to keep him on the roster full cap and no Skinner, or buried/bought him out which would have a cap penalty. Given where they at the cap limit, the other option would have forced them to lose a player.