View Single Post
Old 09-01-2017, 02:50 PM   #18
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Dunno about the US, but here, you're entitled to resist an unlawful arrest, so it wouldn't be I don't think.

I think the main point here is that the detective somehow thought he had the power to force medical staff to undertake medical procedures they didn't want to perform. What's next? "Doc, you'd better perform this appendectomy immediately or I'm throwing you in the clink."
From the article, it sounds like the police force has this team trained to draw blood themselves, so the police aren't asking the nurse to draw blood, they are asking to do it themselves. The nurse then (correctly) states that the policy in place as agreed on between the hospital and the PD doesn't allow for the PD to do so. It's a good policy, because without it, the police would be drawing blood without any consent.

Obviously, the police have made the request, the nurse has said "No, it's against policy," and when the Police didn't like that answer, the nurse got hospital admin on the phone.

I can understand from the police point of view, they are doing a death investigation, and although the blood test for the victim aren't particularly relevant, they want to gather as much information and evidence as possible. But policies exist for a reason.

I just don't understand how a polite conversation with the nurse all of a sudden turns into the police officer flipping a switch and dragging her out of the building. It's completely clear that she's just doing her job, and she's directing them to work it out with the hospital admin.

If the nurse let the police go in against policy, she probably would have lost her job.