View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 AM   #96
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Yes. The clock is ticking if they want to get the tunnel built before the runway is put in. If they need to start digging in June, they need a plan in place pretty soon.

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alber.../18026246.html

I don't understand why the Airport Authority seems to be dragging their feet on this. Is it just a ploy to get more money out of the city, or is there a reason they don't want traffic under their runway (besides the potential security concern of someone setting off a bomb in the tunnel)?
I think they are just taking a cautious approach to the negotiations and seeking more certainty on issues that are peripheral to the tunnel itself but still highly relevant to their operations vis-a-vis their interface with the City. The deal will get done and shovels will be in the ground in a timely manner.

In my opinion, almost every delay and perceived time crunch involved in getting this tunnel done rests mostly at the feet of the City. The situation has been known for literally decades, and the hard deadline for construction on the new runway has been set for a few years now. The City (mostly past City Councils, and this one too a bit) have been the ones dragging their feet and making this thing an 11th hour deal.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote