View Single Post
Old 10-18-2020, 03:02 PM   #1229
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I’m not quite done but I like S1. Eps 3-14 are solid so far. Yeah it’s not an ensemble show and yeah it has evolved past “old” trek but it is engaging and entertaining. I also wouldn’t say it’s mindless or dumb either even if it doesn’t have a lot in common with TNG or DS9.

I don’t really give a #### about timelines or canon or Trek “feel” so it doesn’t bother me that the show borrows when it wants and ignores when convenient trek lore or history. All that matters to me is that the story they tell is interesting and I find it interesting.

My only real complaint is that the side characters get a lot of screen time, like the redhead with the implant and the black lady helmsman, but get no dialogue or characterization beyond repeating commands or relaying sensor readings to the captain. It’s basically all about Michael and the war/spores/Tyler. But they want to make a plot driven show and that’s fine as the plot is fine.

I don’t hate any of the characters, which is a positive. Even though I liked Picard, every time Allison Pill was on screen I was secretly hoping she’d finally die that episode.

I also like Picard though, for different reasons, as it felt much more old school with the focus on our humanity winning the fight where weapons can’t. And yes Picard used the old infiltrator in star fleet thing that I hate but it was only 1 lady and the show wasn’t about that anyways.

Even the infiltrators in Discovery didn’t feel like an FU to fans the way Into Darkness was. Literally everything about that abortion of a movie felt like it was designed to #### on ST lore and old school fans, while simultaneously raping it like that South Park episode about Indiana Jones.

At least this show borrows but doesn’t completely crap on the lore and history of the franchise. They’re forging their own path, even if it’s pretty far off from previous ST series.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-18-2020 at 03:08 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote