View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 02:41 PM   #53
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Go on...
So I compiled this recipe from various sources, to the point I think I'm probably justified in calling it my own.

Slice/pound chicken breasts until desired thickness, I usually go about 3/4 inch.

Soak in dill pickle juice. Cook sous vide for 2 hours at 63 degrees C.

Then comes the deep frying. I do a double layer of battering. Dip once in the wet, then the dry, then the wet, then the dry again, then into the fryer. It's already cooked, so you're just crisping up the batter. 90 seconds in 375 degree F oil is usually about right, but I do it by look - once the batter is golden brown its time to come out.

Wet Batter:
1.5 cups buttermilk
1/2 small onion chopped small
1 clove garlic
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Dry Batter
2 cups flour
1.5 cups corn starch
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ancho chili pepper

**This produces a mild yet slightly smoky flavour. For more heat, you can add more cayenne to the batter. More Ancho will add more smokeyness. You can also add franks red hot or similar to the wet batter. If you do this, you may want to substitute regular milk for buttermilk, as there is acid in the hot sauce and the buttermilk.

Serve with garlic aioli, dill pickles, and shredded lettuce. I have not experimented with bacon, but I think that would be good. I'm skeptical about adding tomato.

I usually trim the chicken breasts and then flatten them with a mallet, and use the extra pieces to make home made chicken nuggets for my kids with the same batter. But because of the sous vide step the breast doesn't need to be equally thick to cook evenly, so you could skip this step.

If you don't think this is the best chicken sandwich ever, then either I'm very interested in hearing what you think is better or you made a mistake somewhere
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post: