View Single Post
Old 03-21-2023, 02:34 PM   #2838
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Oh wow, now we have to fight! I agree on Fusion, I don't get the love for that game. It lacks all the exploration and discovery of the previous ones. Part of the joy of Super Metroid was the discovery and exploration. If you want linear games where something lights up for what to do next, I can see not enjoying it. I find those dull.

I found Dread to be one of the worst games in the series. Forgettable similar music and locations, the sneaky aspect was done way better in Zero Mission, the bosses sucked, I dunno, most of it was not enjoyable. I have never had a desire to replay it. Prime is awesome though.
For me I've always loved the exploration aspects, I hate games that hold your hand too much, it's the more obtuse stuff that I find kind of lame. You'll say, okay I need to get to this room, but it's blocked so I'll head in a different direction, find some power-ups, maybe a new ability -- I'm having fun. Okay, I've explored everywhere I can possibly go now and can no longer progress so... time to start randomly shooting and bombing walls to find a path forward I guess -- not fun anymore. That's when I get disillusioned with them. I think maybe it was just a product of the times too, I've been playing Minish Cap on Switch too (which I beat back in the day) and find myself becoming bored with the obtuse fetch quests and event triggers in the overworld blocking progress.

I played through Dread back to back twice though (once on hard), just great gameplay and controls, well designed maps, and hard disagree on the boss fights as I thought that was maybe the best part of it!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote