View Single Post
Old 03-21-2023, 11:08 AM   #2834
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
It has been remarkably consistent, with only one real 'dud' game in the main series (Other: M). Nintendo just gets weird with it and puts it on long breaks for some reason. There was 8 years between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime / Fusion, then we got like 5 Metroid game in 5 years there, then Other: M killed the franchise for a good seven years until the Metroid 2 remake on 3DS.

Now it seems like they've brought it back as a main series again, with Dread in 2021, Prime Remastered now, and Prime 4 somewhere on the soon-ish horizon (I'm hoping we see it sometime in 2024). There's also rumours MecurySteam is already working on the next 2D Metroid.
I'd definitely be okay with MercuryStream taking the helm of 2D Metroid for the foreseeable future as long as they keep improving their formula. The metroidvania space is a lot more crowded than when they first made their appearance in the Castlevania Lords of Shadow series.

I was playing through Dread again recently and the controls are just so good. They did a great job modernizing Metroid to be more approachable while keeping some of the exploration aspects intact. I just hope they improve the area diversity because I still have trouble keeping some of them distinct in my head. Artaria, Dairon, Ferenia and Hanubia are all too samesy for my liking.

The music in Dread is sadly the worst the series has seen. I was hoping repeated playthroughs would change my opinion like how eventually I came around on Prime 3's music, but it hasn't happened. Not only do most of the areas have no recognizable hook in the music (good minimal music has hooks or chord progression that catches your ear), they also don't seem to be mastered well. They sound flat and lifeless, and I can't fathom how that happened. The only song I can say I will always remember from this game is going to be Burenia, which is definitely the most interesting zone in the game to boot.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote