View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 10:20 AM   #11
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
It's infuriating the insurance industry constantly slants their messaging so that people like you will think twice on making a perfectly reasonable claim on a service that you paid for.
I don't think it's the insurers that are slanting any message. There are a ton of misconceptions regarding insurance out there. It's always "i heard" or "my friend said". It amazes me how often people circulate info like that around without checking with their insurer.

In a nutshell...not at fault claims don't affect your driving record, that's what at fault claims do. Everyone with an auto policy will have policy documents that show what their driving record with their respective insurer is. Intact goes to 8*, Aviva and Wawanesa go as high as 9*. Whatever, it just a number that shows how long you've had a policy in force with no claims. So if you are at driving record 8 with Intact and have an at fault accident, technically you should go back down to 0 (they don't usually do that for reasons, it's just an example). So you are now paying the same right as someone who just started their first policy. That is why your rates increase with at fault claims.

So no, under no circumstances could a claim you had no fault in affect your rates. The only exception to this I can think of is some carriers had claims free discounts that they may remove if they process a not at fault claim but I don't think that happens anymore as it was ridiculous to do in the first place.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 02-25-2021 at 10:24 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote