View Single Post
Old 04-09-2020, 04:45 PM   #2614
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
Any recommendations for dealing with drainage? Contractors you've worked with - stuff to consider, etc?

Our backyard is a swimming pool of snow melt in the middle right now (which is a concrete pathway, which probably doesn't help) and the water's not going anywhere cause the yard is sloped kinda like this and pools in the middle... \_/ The one neighbour's yard is a bit higher too so it's more like

(neighbour) ________
...................my yard \____/

(oh yeah, look at that sweet drawing, that might even be to scale!)

In addition to the backyard, our side-yard/path slopes toward the house, as does the area between my garage and the neighbours.
Gutters seem to drain in dumb places too. (right on the pathway so that it ices up nicely this time of year...seriously, wtf, who does that?)
For gutters beside the house, I was advised to use a 2x4 to build kind of arch and have the gutters follow that and drain 2-3 feet away from the side of the building (preferably into plants). This way no one trips on the gutter extension, ice doesn't pool on the side path or drain back into the house and thirsty plants get a sip of water. I hear hiring guys to do gutters is inexpensive and cheaper than doing yourself because they have all the equipment and are good at it. Plus I hear you need at least two guys to do it effectively and efficiently.

Not totally sure about how your yard is set up, but if there's no lower grade space you can drain to, I've seen people bury plastic tubing several inches below the ground and angled towards the edges of the yard so that the water drains towards plants.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote