View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 01:33 PM   #72
Plaedo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I didn't feel the need to go through it all because most Flames fans are aware of Monahan's game, but few have seen Barkov more than a handful of times. I felt it warranted a more detailed description of the player he is. All anyone has to do around here to see a highlight package of Monahan is look at one of AC's videos.

I feel like that clip of the comeback against the Rangers illustrates that pretty well, no?

Maybe, but Monahan isn't even ranked and the comparison was between the two players.

I agree with all this.
That makes sense why you didn't analyse Monahan's play in such a detailed way, but this may be partly why people are frequently jumping on the homeristic-defensive.

I agree that the clip of the Rangers is an example of Barkov taking over. Would you say that he has done it more times/more consistently/to the same or greater extent than Giordano has? I was responding to the question of whether Barkov would be the best player on the ice, not strictly compared to Monahan.

As for my stance, like some others, I would give the slight edge to Barkov over Monahan at this point, with Barkov's longevity/"grit", and Monahan's developing defensive play to be determined. Were Barkov's injuries just outliers and not indicative of his future health in seasons to come? Is Monahan's defensive play still developing and going to improve incrementally more than Barkov's will? Is the disparity in their defensive play attributable to Barkov having a greater focus on defensive play during his developmental years playing in Finland and with men, while Monahan was in the OHL, and thus might still learn that area of the game to the same extent as Barkov?
Will either of them learn to play as a physical force and use their size like they have the tools to? Just some of the questions that might affect who I would take in the future.
Plaedo is offline   Reply With Quote