View Single Post
Old 07-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #63
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think it's grossly overvalued when looking at how much money and term some people think Backlund is worth. I consider strong defensive play more of a nice to have than a necessity for a first line center who's main priority is to score goals. I consider it more a required skill of 2nd or 3rd line centers. I'm not a homer in that if I was to choose between the two players I would probably take Barkov but I would have to consider Monahan as being the player you can rely on for 80 games and has maybe a better scoring touch. If Barkov continues to miss double digit games after another season or two then I may go with Monahan simply because you are going to get more games out of him.
Ok then...

Barkov: 73 goals in 252 games= 0.29 Goals/game

Monahan: 107 goals in 319 games= 0.34 Goals/game

That seems pretty comparable to me. I've already given the edge in goal scoring to Monahan in this thread, but everything else is edge Barkov, and in some cases it's a pretty big edge. Are you telling me you would take the guy who can score 0.05 goals/game more but is a lesser player in almost every other respect of the game just because you like goals more than defense? It doesn't make much sense to me, and it feels like an argument constructed to support the hometown boy more than really being objective about the comparison.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote