View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024, 03:27 PM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

IT is a very broad area but the one constant is you have to show an appetite for a lifetime of learning new things and learning quickly.

He should find out if he has more aptitude or interest in DevOps/Coding/Software Dev or more generalist IT (Networking, Cloud Admin, Cybersecurity, etc.), or possibly something like a business systems analyst that focuses on specific applications (which have their own certifications like an SAP admin, Service Now architect, Salesforce dev, MS Dynamics/Power BI business analyst, etc.)

For generalist IT (excluding software development) there is the option of self-study and writing certifications in things like Azure, AWS, networking, Cybersecurity, etc. versus paying for formal education.

I have noticed a trend that there are too many people graduating with computer science degrees that aren't a good fit for it and they don't have the interest to keep up to date and maintain their personal porfolios and github projects to attract employers. At the same time, there are a lot of people going into cybersecurity that don't have an aptitude for it. I attended the SAIT cybersecurity capstone presentations a few times and the students have always underwhelmed

Quality employers will care about the quality of the school so I'd avoid Bow Valley College, CDI College, etc, like the plague. SAIT used to be a default as IT is kind of blue collar to University Comp Sci but I've heard their programs and fast tracks have gone downhill since the pandemic with a lot of courses being online and instructors dipping in quality. Its still a great starting point however.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-02-2024 at 03:36 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post: