View Single Post
Old 01-02-2024, 12:19 PM   #5
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Flamer View Post
What kind of schooling would be required for coding/programming? He's looking at a 2 year program, not sure if he has interest in being in school for the next 4 years.

Are there any particular programs that focus on security?
Does your son have any other post secondary? I took the 2 year SAIT program (a very long time ago), and already had an unrelated 4 year degree. The 2 year SAIT taught me everything I needed to get started in the industry, but the 4 year degree definitely helped moving up in the corp/pseudo government world.

SAIT at the time had a great co-op program that was very beneficial in getting my foot in the door. We're hiring DevOps engineers like crazy right now. We pay the consulting company $165/hour an not sure how much the consultant keep of that. We definitely don't differentiate between 4 year or 2 year degrees on the consultant side, but definitely do when hiring FTEs.

It's pretty common in the IT industry to get a start in a couple places where you are doing a few different things, and then find a niche or marketable skill to move on as you go.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post: