View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #3043
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Well, clearly the coach didn’t think so. I thought Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube looked good for one game, the first game they were united, after that, they’ve looked very underwhelming any time I’ve seen them line up together. It’s probably the same reason Monahan has seen so many different wingers over the last 10 games, he can’t find chemistry with anyone other than #13. I think at one point I even Lucic-Monahan combination. If he was playing well, Darryl wouldn’t be moving him from line to line.

In regards to salary, in my opinion, I think Monahan is over paid, especially on this team. Simple as that. He makes a few hundred thousand less than Gaudreau, so there’s a certain level of execution and production that should be expected from him and he hasn’t come close to hitting it. I mean he’s basically paid to score goals and that’s it, because he’s not a shut down guy, he’s not a pass first guy and he’s not a physical guy. So if he’s not scoring, then what else does he do? If he was on pace for a 30 goal type season instead of a 17 goal season (82 games), then the Flames might still be in playoff contention rather than in off-season mode.
I don't think many people had issue with the Monahan contract at the time. I didn't.

But yeah he is overpaid for what he is bringing now and it has been a downward trend since last year.

It's a tough spot for the club to be in. I'd rather pay a pure checking guy less money that what we're getting now for $6.3 million.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: