View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #3042
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Dube was moved after 2 games. And in those 2 games I thought they looked good. Ritchie has played what, now, 5?

Salary wise, you are comparing 3 guys who were signed to fantastic deals - IMO they are bargains as opposed to Monahan being a super bad contract. And Scheifele and Mackinnon did so before the huge rise in RFA contracts. Have a look at most of the other centres at that level of salary. The 2 years before Scheifele signed he scored 49 and 61 points. Pretty good but the next year he exploded. Mackinnon signed the same year after 51 points. It took him 2 years before he skyrocketed. Monahan signed a similar contract, with similar points at a similar time. The difference is they were bargains. Monahan is slightly below value, if at all, when you compare him with Stastny, Schenn, Couture, RyJo, Stepan, Duchene etc.

A couple years later and Mackinnon and Scheifele would be making Aho/Draisaitl money. Bad timing for them.
Well, clearly the coach didn’t think so. I thought Mangiapane-Monahan-Dube looked good for one game, the first game they were united, after that, they’ve looked very underwhelming any time I’ve seen them line up together. It’s probably the same reason Monahan has seen so many different wingers over the last 10 games, he can’t find chemistry with anyone other than #13. I think at one point I even Lucic-Monahan combination. If he was playing well, Darryl wouldn’t be moving him from line to line.

In regards to salary, in my opinion, I think Monahan is over paid, especially on this team. Simple as that. He makes a few hundred thousand less than Gaudreau, so there’s a certain level of execution and production that should be expected from him and he hasn’t come close to hitting it. I mean he’s basically paid to score goals and that’s it, because he’s not a shut down guy, he’s not a pass first guy and he’s not a physical guy. So if he’s not scoring, then what else does he do? If he was on pace for a 30 goal type season instead of a 17 goal season (82 games), then the Flames might still be in playoff contention rather than in off-season mode.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote