View Single Post
Old 05-03-2021, 10:51 PM   #3041
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Does Dube not figure into the equation? He’s had time with the second line as well, but because it wasn’t generating much, Sutter started moving around bodies.

Mangiapane is not an upgrade over Gaudreau, but he’s not chopped liver either. He has had a very good season and in terms of even strength play, he might be the top 5 on 5 winger for his role. For a center of Monahan’s ilk, salary and history of production, I expected him to help elevate the second line now that he’s not facing top shut down pairings. But it’s been the big disappointment down the stretch in my opinion, probably the worst performing line for the role they’re asked to play which is why I’m being critical. There’s been too many one goal games where this line could’ve made an impact and nothing. Outside of a couple games, basically crickets.

Salary wise, I suppose I expected more from someone who at the time, was paid roughly the same as Barkov, Mackinnon and Scheifele. Those 3 have improved over time and developed into elite, franchise centers whereas Monahan has stayed stagnant and has actually regressed. It’s a big reason why this team has regressed as well. There was talk in the Sam Bennett thread about how his failure to launch really hurt this team’s ability to hit that next level, well Monahan in my opinion isn’t that far behind at this point. The contract value isn’t great and it’s being compounded by Sam Bennett’s outstanding start in Florida.
Dube was moved after 2 games. And in those 2 games I thought they looked good. Ritchie has played what, now, 5?

Salary wise, you are comparing 3 guys who were signed to fantastic deals - IMO they are bargains as opposed to Monahan being a super bad contract. And Scheifele and Mackinnon did so before the huge rise in RFA contracts. Have a look at most of the other centres at that level of salary. The 2 years before Scheifele signed he scored 49 and 61 points. Pretty good but the next year he exploded. Mackinnon signed the same year after 51 points. It took him 2 years before he skyrocketed. Monahan signed a similar contract, with similar points at a similar time. The difference is they were bargains. Monahan is slightly below value, if at all, when you compare him with Stastny, Schenn, Couture, RyJo, Stepan, Duchene etc.

A couple years later and Mackinnon and Scheifele would be making Aho/Draisaitl money. Bad timing for them.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post: