View Single Post
Old 09-21-2017, 04:28 PM   #2025
CorbeauNoir
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellsTransgressions View Post
Oh my god conservatives are some of the most overwhelmingly stupid people, especially when they want to go into further debt so that we can finance an arena.

The Flames aren't going to move because they will lose money hand over fist wherever else they go. If that isn't obvious based on the performance of 2/3rds of the teams in the league then I don't know what is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I don't put Murray Edwards on a pedestal, but he is an extremely successful business man, who is not going to launch a money losing business venture. Which unfortunately, this is. If that means moving the team to make it profitable, so be it. At the end of the day it is a business, and you cannot expect the owner to sign up to lose money.
Call it semantics but why is there always this assumed conflation that the team moving means the owners are going to move with it? The thing about these relocation/expansion cities, they're candidates because they already have their own local groups who are going to want to control the franchise themselves. They're no more interested in taking on Edwards than TNSE was interested in taking on Atlanta Spirit.

They're not going to move the team to make it profitable or risk a lack of profitability because it'll be an irrelevant point; they're just going to sell the team and bank their money before it turns into a loss, exactly like what happened in QC. Maybe they'll trade Flames ownership for an AHL team or just make do with the Stamps/Hitmen/Roughnecks. Either way, whether or not the team does financially worse or better elsewhere is going to be completely irrelevant to the (former) owners at that point. All that counts is the sale price.